Things you would do differently second time around?

Soon I'll be starting to plan my second wedding, and I intend on it being a lot less stress free than the first one. I recall after the first wedding wondering why I stressed so much on the details when the day is over in the blink of an eye! As long as my guests get a good meal, yummy cake and I have a gorgeous dress I don't care about much else I had a big wedding last time and I haven't seen a lot of the guests since the wedding itself in 2004!

This time will be completely different, and I'm telling you girls this so that when I start my planning and I'm posting on here more hopefully you can all keep me in line

Nancy says:
Well, the first thing I'd do differently woud have to be a different groom (unless it was a vow renewal )

I can't really say for myself cos I'm not married yet, and I'd do everything the same if I was going to start planning again, but my friend has been married twice and I was BM both times.

For the first wedding:
The bride and groom were 19 and 20. The BM's picked the dresses and the colour and the wedding theme was planned around the dresses we picked. The ceremony was at the school chapel, the reception at a nice hotel in town. There were about 120 guests, half family, half school friends, some of who were there for the free booze and spent time bagging the groom (who was the one who had invited them) out cos they thought he was a bit of a loser, but weren't going to say no to a wedding invitation. There was also one guest (brides side) who as we were walking out of the chapel said that she and her BF weren't going to the reception because they were going to a Blink 182 (or something similar) concert. It was a fabulous day and a wonderful ceremony and reception, but I think that most of the guests were a bit young and not all there for the right reasons.

Second wedding:
The bride and groom were 26 and 32. They organised everything as a team (except for her dress). They had even picked out the suits and dresses in the specific colour before they askd us to be part of the bridal party. They were chilled out and relaxed tho, even tho they had things well planned. When they told us they were engaged, we were expecting something a little more low key and casual, but the ceremony (full nuptual mass) was at the Cathedral (where they worshipped) complete with organ, full choir and the bells. It was a beautiful, touching ceremony that was just so them. It was a late afternoon ceremony, so we had some quick photos and then headed off to the reception at a hotel just out of town. There were 80 guess (6 tables of family / fmily friends) and 2 tables of friends. Everyone was there for the right reasons (to celebrate their relationship).
Although more elaborate, the second wedding was more personalised and more them. There was also that feeling of love (rather than lust) in the air the entire time they were around. All of the guests were people they either see regularly (whenever they’re back here) or are family and only don’t see because they live overseas.

All in all, it did surprise me a bit at the start that they had gone with such an elaborate wedding, but even though it was her second (his first) wedding, it was THEIR first wedding and they made it exactly how they wanted. As the planning went on, I kicked myself for my first thoughts because the entire lead up and day were just perfect for them. It’s still one of the most beautiful days that I’ve had a chance to be a part of.

Keith says:
My first wedding was when I was 25 and was in a church with about 80 guests, quite an expensive day but the parents paid for most of it so that was ok. I remember it being a bit stressful for everyone with so much attention to detail and worrying alot about the guests being happy etc.

Second wedding, was much happier and stress free, a smaller wedding which we both wanted, about 30 guests with the ceremony by the river. Just our closest friends and relatives (as opposed to every single person you know) made it much more personal and manageable. And with the children involved it was very special indeed. Cost heaps less - and even had it in a different state! The parents still chipped in too, how cool is that!

So probably wouldn't have changed much at the time, I think I just changed and this is what suited me much better at the time
Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment

analytics